Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Independent reading book response: Falling in love with English boys

Thesis Question: How are things in the past connected to things in modern day life?    
      My book involves do different girls who happen to both be named Katherine. The book shows both perspectives, of each girl, and expresses the difference of the time period between both girls. As I read this book, I tried spotting things like, how London has changed since Katherine Percival's time. I found similarities that I thought to be oddly close. These similarities aren't necessarily about London's change in time, but they are more about their social lives and/or how a teenaged girl adjusts to new things. Basically, I scanned the book for the behavior of both girls. People in the past connect to people in the present whether it's by blood relation, or by common interests, life styles, etc.
      Since the title is, "Falling in love with english boys", obviously, there will be romance in the book. Kat and Cat both dealt wanting to fall in love with the right guy, keeping/meeting new friends, and being curious about the world. There is a historical aspect through Katherine's writing.
      "Falling in love with english boys", was written by, Melissa Jansen. This book was about a girl named Cat who, was dragged to London, England by her mother who, is conducting research at a british museum about a girl named, Mary Percival who was an infamous poet from Britain. Cat felt stranded and lonely while being in London. Sure, she could shop on Oxford street when ever she felt like it but, she just can't enjoy herself without her best friends to chat with, and her ex-boyfriend to tease.
          When Cat gets her hands on Katherine Percival's (Mary Percival's daughter) diary, Cat's mother almost forces her to read it. Cat soon learns that she has a lot in common with this Katherine girl. They both have the same name, same lifestyle and fall in love with some one in England.
          Through out Cat's adventure in London, she meets some interesting british girls, shops in new stores, learns new words/terms, and along the way meets the amazing, William Percival. Will happens to be a descendent of Katherine, the writer of the diary Cat has been reading. Will is the perfect guy. He's handsome, sweet, and polite. (I'm not even going to lie, I even fell for Will even though he's just a character from the book, hehehe)
          I must say that, I love reading books like these. I tend to enjoy clever, romantic, fun books that take place in England. But, I think something that interested me the most about this book was, the fact that Cat is from America. She came from America, all the way to England. What a transition!  I've never been to England but, I could almost imagine my self in Cat's shoes. When she first arrived she probably had that feeling where, she was so nervous that, she tried to hide that nervousness by acting like she doesn't care about anything or she's only interested in going back home. But, how amazing would it be to be able to travel far from home!
          I honestly didn't love the character of Cat. She wasn't awful but, I felt that she complained way too much. For almost the first half of the book, all she talked about was how boring her life was and how much she wanted to go back home to her friends. But yet, she's in London and eventually finds a sweet british guy. William on the other hand, was simply lovely. He was just adorable, and understood Cat.
          Overall, this book was enjoyable. "Falling in love with english boys", is the perfect book to read just for fun. You will adore some of the characters, and will feel like you are in London yourself. Something unique about this book was that, it was written from two perspectives. The way this book was written is in two formats, diary entries, and blog posts. Obviously, Cat is the one who is blogging and Katherine is the one who is writing though. This book was the perfect book for me, and I seriously recommend this book to people who enjoy clever romances that possibly take place in England.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your reading response it sounds like a great book! I really like how you weren't afraid to say 'I don't like this character.'

    ReplyDelete